Human and Mouse Induced Pluripotent Stem (iPS) Cell Derivation and Testing.
iPS Cell Derivation and Characterization
Fibroblast or other cell types are genetically transduced using lentiviral or other stable and transient expression systems optimized for high level expression of mouse or human iPS genes (listed below):
- OCT3/4 - POU class 5 homeobox 1 (POU5F1), (NM_002701)
- SOX2 - sex determining region Y-box2 (NM_0031106)
- NANOG- Nanog homeobox (NM_024865)
- LIN28 - lin-28 homolog (NM_024674)
- KLF4 - Kruppel-like factor 4 (gut) (NM_004235)
- C-Myc - v-myc myelocytomatosis viral oncogene homolog (NM_002467)
Cloned iPS cell lines will be characterized for pluripotency biomarkers using immunocytochemistry and RT-PCR.
Mouse Teratoma Formation Assay
iPS cells are tested for the ability to generate the 3 main germ layers (ectoderm, mesoderm, and endoderm) in SCID mouse models using histological analysis.